You know their name.
Maybe you have access to their age, photo, a favorite activity. Other than that, the child you sponsor may feel like a mystery. So how do you pray for a vulnerable child when you don’t know their specific needs?
Thankfully, God knows them fully, so His Word is the best place to start.
One of the most common memorized parts of the Bible is Psalm 23. Here’s how you can use that chapter to guide your prayer for the child you sponsor.
1. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Praise God for being the Good Shepherd. Pray that your sponsored child would learn to find satisfaction in Him alone.
2. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
Ask God to bring comfort and peace to your sponsored child.
3. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Thank God for His sovereign involvement in your sponsored child’s life. Ask Him to reveal His beautiful plans for their future.
4. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Praise God for being near to your sponsored child. Pray that they would find their comfort and courage in Him.
5. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Ask God to keep your sponsored child safe from Satan’s attacks and any kind of physical or spiritual harm.
6. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Pray that your sponsored child would learn how much God loves them. Pray that the Gospel would become the most precious thing to them and that they would come to saving faith in Jesus!
Child sponsorship is an amazing way to put a face and name to fighting poverty. If you’re not already, now is the perfect time to spark a connection and sponsor a child.
SPONSOR A CHILD. CHANGE A LIFE.
We don’t just want to reach more orphans and vulnerable kids. We want to reach them more deeply. This means providing them with the skills and knowledge necessary to excel and become future leaders in their communities. Your sponsorship is vital to this!